Friday, August 17, 2012

Spaghetti Sauce -vegetarian


Spaghetti is one of our favorite meals around here.  I always make a meat sauce and a veggie sauce, which I have tailored to fit my tastes over the years.  I got tired of using other Italian Seasoning so I finally made my own mix using a variety of recipes for inspiration.

It's sweet and very savory.

1 large onion chopped
1 large red or orange bell pepper chopped
1 cup of chopped carrots (I prefer the baby carrots because they are sweeter)
5+ cloves of garlic minced
3 tbsp olive oil (it can vary depending on how many veggies I put in)
1 bay leaf
1 tbsp brown sugar
1.5 tsp oregano
3/4 tsp basil
3/4 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp marjoram
1/4 tsp rosemary
1 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp pepper
3 15 oz cans of diced tomatoes (I like the ones with garlic and onion or herbs for extra flavor)
1 can tomato paste
2 cups water

1 lb of spaghetti


First, I chop and mince my veggies.  
Next, I mix my sugar, spices and herbs then set them aside.
Then, I open up the cans of tomatoes and tomato sauce, and measure the 2 c of water so they are ready to pour in when I am.
In a large five quart pot, I sauté the onion, bell pepper, carrots, and garlic until tender.
Then I stir in the spices, tomatoes, tomato paste and water.
I bring the pot to a boil and then simmer the sauce on low about an hour or until it is the consistency that I like -not too thin and watery.

When I can tell the sauce is almost done I put on water to boil for the spaghetti and turn on the oven for garlic bread.  If you want to make your own garlic bread, you can use the recipe here.

Grate a little parmesan cheese on top once you plate it and you're set!

Bon appétit!

Suggestion: You really can't go wrong with the amount of veggies you add.  Sometimes I add more than what I noted above, especially if I have leftovers.  I love to add pretty much any veggie to the mix: zucchini, squash, peas, or anything that you think would taste good in spaghetti sauce.  Just toss them in after you your veggies are sautéed.  If you have some grilled or roasted veggies, it will make it even better.  It also freezes well, I just portion it in quart sized freezer bags to pull out anytime I'm ready.




No comments:

Post a Comment